Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Web 3.0 Digital Writing: not just for students






What is Web 3.0? Web 2.0 is Facebook: interactive communication-- online whenever you choose to collaborate and share.  Web 3.0 goes further: it's a semantic web network that can predict what relates to you by interpreting what you input. Amazon makes suggestions on your previous orders. Google predicts what you are typing based on your and everyone else's prior searches. It's like having a personal assistant that gets information for you that you may not even have thought about.

Web 3.0 changes everything. It's why I'm trying to bring our staff into the collaborative nature of our Google Apps for Education. The image above is from a conference presentation by EdTechTeacher, which shares a Web 3.0 process of digital writing with students using iPads. We may not have iPads, but we do have Google Drive as part of our Google Apps. Whether working with students or working with colleagues, Google Apps allows us to communicate and collaborate in many ways: writing, audio, video, note-taking, etc.

Debra Pankey is working on iPad integration with us, which gives us yet another opportunity to bring our school into the 21st Century [ it is 2014 ]. Even without the iPad, our Google Apps allows us to work together as colleagues and as guides to our 21st Century learners. Of the apps in the above image, two are part of Google: Drive and Blogger. In addition, others work with Google Apps so students can save their work. So, I'm wondering, how have you explored your Google Applications: mail [including chat, tasks, and contacts], calendar [please see last post and try it], drive/docs, YouTube [create your own channel -- mine is nsdedwards], sites, ? Note: links connect to our domain; be logged in to link to them.

I write virtually every document, spreadsheet, presentation, report card in Google Apps. Here's what my drive looks like, and with Google search [top bar] I can easily find my files, whether or not I organize them into folders. Wherever I am, when connected to the internet, I can get to and work on these from any device. It's awesome to have my work whenever I need it. And, it's all private unless I choose to share it. I can share public or with one or a group of people. It's definitely leading towards Web 3.0.  I have a personal account, and it looks the same: filled with my documents, which I can share with family and my peeps [ online colleagues ].


 Here's my student launch page: a Google Site [ and here's my personal site from my own account ]:


Have you looked at your settings in mail? Just click Settings and see what's there. Check out Themes and personalize your mail, or add a background image -- the one below is from Cresent Bay walking that old dog of mine.


Or notice my image?  Click your name and you will see a link to "Account." From there you can edit your profile, add your image, and many other settings.


Do you notice the +Sheri in the above image. If you click that [teachers only], you will be able to enable your Google Plus App to join our NSD Private Community. And you will have access to Google Hangout from which you can collaborate with up to ten other people on Google. Teachers around the world are collaborating with this tool, with each other, with experts at NASA or universities, business experts. It's an amazing tool and opportunity. Below is a screenshot [remixed] of my peeps and I collaborating on a project.


If you click the icon with nine dots, you should see the G+ symbol to start your profile. Just keep choosing "continue;" you don't need to add friends, etc. to start. Once you're on, I can invite you to the NSD Private Community.

It includes many topics already:

 So, if we're to think about our learners, we need to  think about where they are -- and they are well into the twenty-first century [ baby  and Joe ]. This summer I hope you play around with our GAFE: Google Apps for Education and are ready to fully use their power next year. Just email, chat, or hangout with me if you want help.


There are tons of teachers like edtechteacher who want to share ideas like this Google Presentation. Four of my favorites are:

Freetech4teachers
Kathy Schrock
Classroom Live 2.0
Learning Revolution



Thanks for reading this; I appreciate your time. I keep trying. 
If you've read this, please ask a question or add an idea in the comments. Thank you.

Another suggestion: start a Google Doc with your questions, and share it with me. I'll try to answer.

I may be failing at engaging our staff, but I keep trying.

I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.

Michael Jordan




Please remember this is a school-related site. Model digital citizenship. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember this is a school-related site. Model digital citizenship. Thank you.